Saturday, July 18, 2009

Project #5 Experimentation with scanning movement

Today I worked through the instructions of Project #5. I found it hard to move my hand slow enough so that the scanned image did not develop streaks and yet smoothly enough that the image did truly distort. I tried to scan my hand so that the back of my hand was shown in the scan. It took me a number of tries before I was able to get a clear scan as it was harder to position my hand this way than palm side down. Eventually I was able to get a range of differing effects. Where I had the most success was in scanning kitchen implements by holding them with the fabric background and then sliding them across the scanner plate as the image was being scanned. Out of interest I tried using my son's clown headdress as the background of a number of these shots. Interestingly enough the scanner inverted the clown's headdress color scheme. Instead of being red and orange it appears as yellow and green. This is strange seeing that none of the other colors were distorted in their rendition. It made for an interesting backdrop though!