Saturday, November 14, 2009

Urban Imaging

I decided to pick a scanned image of a single object which I felt held the greatest potential for exploration. I chose the moving image of a pair of orange scissors. Although an everyday object, the distortion of this tool has an eerie effect. Scissors are predictably similar in shape and appearance, with the idea promoted by le Corbusier that “Form follows function”. However, in this case, the scissors have been removed from their eveyday use as their distortion gives an indication of movement and a morphing in functioning. While playing with ideas, I laid eyes on a Korean t-shirt I had just been given. As the shirt had an image of a city on the front, with metallic sparkles and attractive writing, I decided to scan it. In trying to get as much of the image as possible on the screen I set it at an angle. The resulting image started a spurt of ideas. Its angle worked perfectly with the flow of the lines of the scissors placed on the layer on top of it. The rest of the evening was spent playing with different textures and patterns in the background of the two images – the scissors and the cityscape. In this image I have newspaper, rubber gloves and fabric forming the texture of the background. On seeing this image, my husband suggested using computer circuit boards as a background to correlate with the grid-like arrangement of city streets, as mentioned in the writing on the t-shirt.