Saturday, August 22, 2009

Layers of Layers Project #11

Last night and this afternoon I worked through the instructions for layering. It took me a while to figure out how to resize a batch of images at the same time as my version of Photo Elements does not have the sequence File>Automate>Batch. However, I did get it right eventually.
I am finding with increased exposure to working with Photoshop Elements I am starting to be able to repeat procedures without having to consult the manual. I am also understanding what I am doing. Previously when I played with Photoshop, it was really hit and miss whether I got the procedure correct or not. But, having worked systematically through the material presented I feel as if I have a better understanding of the processes involved.
The various Blending Modes are very interesting to play with. At first it was hard to see how each different type changed things. My daughter who has had a lot more experience at creating Digital Art, showed me the various Blend Modes she used in various pictures she created in order to enhance her images and create special effects. She said that with time I will be able to assess beforehand what the effect is likely to be. At present it is rather hit and miss.
I did enjoy playing with the Colour Dodge Mode. This creates a dynamic image, enhancing the color contrast.
It is interesting, my tutor told me the other day that I should try to push more towards images that are "signature" images. Yesterday whil reading a workbook on Color, I came across a whole section that talks about learning to recognise your signature colors. I even had my students use magazines to pick out their 10 signature colors to create a signature color palette. As I played with the various Blend Modes today, I was very aware of the fact that my signature color scheme is definitely towards the bold range with oranges and deep blues.