Friday, July 10, 2009

Expectations and Vision for the Digital Arts Course

For so long now I have felt technologically challenged when it comes to creating artworks on the computer. As a Middle and High School Art teacher, I feel threatened by the fact that I am quickly becoming outmoded. I studied as an Art teacher graduating in 1989 - so my complete art training was based on traditional media. A number of students have asked me to help them learn Digital Art. Each time I have to tell them that I have no training in this field; and then I refer them to tutorials. Many of these tutorials are quickly grasped by my students; but leave me spinning in circles, accidentally deleting work which has taken me hours to produce. Extremely frustrating! From my research of this course, it seems to be a very systematic course which does not presume that I know anything - this is good! I am truly excited about being able to lay a solid foundation of knowledge concerning computer generated art upon which I hope to be able to build and explore in the future. My main desire is that I expand my experience and skills in using Digital Art Technologies. My ultimate dream is to work towards eventually gaining a Bachelor of Arts Degree. Art used to be my passion. For too long now I have sat in the benches, coaching others to delight in art and yet feeling sidelined from the passion and action. I hope to be able to quicken my heart once again to the myriad of artistic options that are within my grasp.