Saturday, July 11, 2009

Journalling Catch-up: Getting Started Project #2

July 9 Project #2 I completed my Student Profile and posted it. As a non-technical kind of person I really appreciate the simple logical way in which the information was explained. I remember when some of this infromation was explained in college, 20 something years ago, it was very confusing. Summary of what I learnt in Project #2: All information on a cumputer is communicated by means of a binary system whereby switches within the computer are either switched on or switched off. Each character is represented by an 8-digit code called a byte. 1,024 bytes = 1 kilobyte 1,024 kilobytes = 1 megabyte 1,024 megabytes = 1 giggabyte ROM is permanent memory, sometimes called storage. It is read-only information containing diagnositc processes and hardware functions. It also contains some of the software systems such as the Toolbox e.g. infromation concerning windows, menues etc. RAM stands for random access memory. This stores information which is lost when the power is switched off. Information on the screen which wou are working on is operated through RAM. RAM uses chips called SIMMS (single in-line memory modules) or DIMMS (dula in-line memory modules). Parameter RAM or PRAM is another type of RAM controlling information like the date and time. Information is stored on hard storage discs which have platters on which the information is stored. It is stored by means of the magnetization of iron oxide particles.